Sunday, May 08, 2005

Rise Against - Siren Song of the Counter Culture Album Review


How come punk bands are, 9 times out of 10, some ugly, nerdy-looking or dirty-looking crackas? Anyways, on with the review. This review will be considerably shorter and more "Bol-style" (nhjic) than my style.

1. State of the Union
If I had to make a comparison, it'd be to Anthrax. And considering that bands like Simple Plan sound more like the motherfuckin Backstreet Boys these days, that's a good thing.

2. First Drop
One thing you'll notice is good drumming, and some real good picked bass. Also the singer does singing and screaming equally as well. While the last one was near-metal, this one is more punk-ish.

3. Life Less Frightening
Unlike several emo bands, these dudes dont fuck around (nh) with all this pussy "lost love" bullshit. Seriously, emo sucks.

4. Paper Wings
Okay, I dont like this. This sounds like... motherfuckin Simple Plan except faster and with better musicians and a grittier singer. Skip.

5. Blood to Bleed
This is OK, but not exactly my shit. This one is more of a personal than a political song, and it tends to blend into the background a bit.

6. To Them These Streets Belong
See...this is what punk-rock is supposed to be about. Not for the timid. Not self-indulgent or whiny. It is brash, it is frequently political and it is hardcore-influenced. Fuck all this Good Charlotte bullshit, no homo. This song isnt as good as others tho.

7. Tip the Scales
Fuck yeah. This is another song that embodies the punk genre not only musically but in attitude and subject matter and so on.

8. Anywhere But Here
This one's fast, but not particularly all that good. The starts-and-stops are nice tho. Nhjic.

9. Give It All
This has one of those anthemic choruses that I don't know whether to like (nh) or hate. The verses I like more, however. No homo.

10. Dancing for Rain
This is actually the first song I heard. It starts with acoustic guitars, pretty mellow...and then youre hit with hardcore punk-rock and it's like "fuck yeah!" A little history: the bassist used to be with 88 Fingers Louie. 88FL used to be with those Fat Wreck Chords people, and they were not too special, at least in my opinion. But I do like how he plays on this song, no homo.

11. Swing Life Away
When the fuck did this become John Mayer? I blame it on Kanye West. Oh, and Jay-Z.

12. Rumors of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
This is the longest (4:16) song, and this is middle tempo for punk music. The lyrics are good if lacking a general theme, and the bridge is done well. Overall, great closer.

Overall
Overall, this shit is good. It's not better than Revolutions Per Minute (great title, btw) but it is an album in which the good greatly outweighs the bad. It's alot of back-to-basics but also alot of expanding on it. In that way, it compares to, say, Nas's "Stillmatic." Are tall Israelis and quasi-homosexuals runnin this punk shit, btw? Cause I don't know how to make a joke about downloading the CD without that knowledge. Nhjic.

Overall Rating: 4 Stars out of 5

Also, my next review will be either Showbiz & A.G.'s "Runaway Slave" or Bloc Party's "Silent Alarm."

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um this is totally unrelated, but I am curious about something. I've noticed that every time I post, you take my quote and post it on Dcoy's site. What exactly is that about?
Are you trying to help me or are you making fun of me? Are you fascinated by my physical attraction to Jason? I just thought it odd that you have enough interest to post my quotes. I clicked on your name and it brought me here, and that is what really made it bizarre. I'm not mad or anything, I'm just curious.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Zodiac Digital said...

i find it amusing. nhjic.

also, i am suspicious as to whether this is "real" or if its a joke

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amusing? Well I guess. I never really thought of it that way. I'm a very aggressive chick probably to a fault. Whether it's "real" or not is really irrelevant, because it is all in lighthearted fun. That is not to say Jason isn't a babe, because he definitely is. I was just taken aback when I saw my comments on Dcoy's site. Oh well bye.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Zodiac Digital said...

btw, if you email me your pics i can email them to jason.

my email is:

spam_me_1974 [AT] yahoo [DOT] com

3:44 PM  
Blogger Joey said...

Xplicit, I am liking this new era of album reviews. Nice work. And I responded to your post on Southern (or cracka-ass cracka) Ian's site.

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhhh thanks but that's okay. I'm not going to lie, you scare me a little. I mean to see my quotes when I couldn't even post myself, and then to give you sexy pics. I don't know, that is a little creepy. I mean, why are you so interested in this? And, is Jason even a friend of yours? I'm curious. Bye.

2:57 AM  
Blogger Zodiac Digital said...

okay fine, email them to d-coy:

haybeav12345 [AT] sbcglobal [DOT] net

2:59 PM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

ugg outlet
polo ralph lauren
coach outlet
coach outlet
jordan shoes
reebok shoes
fitflops shoes
jordan 4
michael kors outlet
saics running shoes
2017.7.27

10:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

tory burch outlet
michael kors uk
adidas neo
jordan shoes
air force 1
jordan shoes
adidas ultra boost uncaged
nike zoom
michael kors factory outlet
links of london sale

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home